Employment & Volunteer Opportunities
Exciting Opportunity in the Renewable Energy Sector:
The Ottawa Renewable Energy Coop (OREC) is looking for a General Manager: a social
entrepreneur to work in an expanding industry which addresses Climate Change as well as local
control of power and community investment.
The General Manager’s (GM’s) key objective will be to grow the cooperative’s project portfolio,
operations and membership, while continuing and maintaining organizational efficiency. The
GM will oversee all OREC activities from business development and share offerings through
administration of files, and budget, to member and public relations.
Applicants must be able to support a Board elected by members of the Cooperative and to
work in a matrix of members, volunteers, partners, contractors (solar maintenance, project
development) and existing financial and legal advisors.
1. Relevant university degree: Environment, Business, Engineering (multiple degrees
2. Knowledge of Cooperatives and commitment to their values
3. Familiarity with renewable energy and energy efficiency technology
4. Familiarity with project assessment and management
5. At least Five (5) years of relevant work experience
6. Management or leadership experience and ability to manage staff and budgets
7. Ability to prioritize among competing demands, to take initiative, to work independently
and to be open to learning
8. Demonstrate excellent verbal communication skills in English (French also desirable)
9. Demonstrate proficient computer skills (spreadsheets in particular).
Starting Date: September 1 or earlier.
Please apply, with a CV and 3 references, before Thursday, June 9 at midnight EST. to Susan
Tanner: susantanner5 at yahoo.ca. If there are internet difficulties please call (613) 983-0725 or
email OREC office: comms at orec.ca.