A lifetime membership with OREC is $100. Membership supports OREC’s operations and administrative costs, provides you with benefits (listed below) and allows you to vote at member meetings (see OREC’s governance model).
Any resident of Eastern Ontario can become a member. Eastern Ontario is defined as the City of Ottawa and the counties of Prescott and Russell, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, Lanark, Renfrew, Leeds and Grenville, Frontenac and Lennox and Addington.
Membership also allows you to invest in OREC’s renewable energy projects by purchasing preference shares and member investment notes that are available on a regular basis. Investment is really how the magic happens. OREC’s renewable energy projects are financed by capital raised from the sale of securities, which entitles investors to either an annual return on investment called a dividend or a simple annual interest depending on the security.
Other great reasons to become a member?
- Make Eastern Ontario more sustainable
- Amplify your voice through collective action
- Increase the co-operative’s influence and reach
- Receive monthly newsletters about renewable energy
- Be part of a like-minded community
- Join an advisory team and run for a seat on the Board of Directors